FINANCIAL AID RATE94%
STUDENT TEACHER RATIO24:1
FINANCIAL AID AWARD AVG.$9,276
Average Grants + Scholarship Aid Awarded to Undergraduate Students
Percent of Full-Time Undergraduates Receiving Financial Aid
Percent of Students Paying In-State Tuition vs Out-of-State Tuition
California State University – Los Angeles
1250 Bellflower Blvd, Long Beach, CA
California State University - Los Angeles (CSULA) is one of 23 campuses in the CSU system. The entire CSU system represents more than 400,000 students and more than 40,000 faculty and staff members, offering hundreds of undergraduate and graduate degree programs, making it one of the largest university systems in the United States.
CSULA provides high-quality degree programs at the bachelor's and master's degree levels in more than 60 subject areas. CSULA has many nationally recognized programs, including business, science, engineering, criminal justice, nursing, the arts, education and the humanities. Professors at CSULA are recognized leaders in their field and are noted for being highly accessible to students.
California State University - Los Angeles was founded in 1947. The university's first engineering student graduated in 1953. Its Computer Science department was formed in 2001.
The academic calendar for Cal State LA operates year round on the quarter system. It has four quarters that run for 11 weeks.
Colleges and Schools
Cal State LA has six academic colleges that include 50 departments and divisions.
- College of Arts and Letters
- College of Business and Economics
- Charter College of Education
- College of Engineering, Computer Science and Technology
- College of Health and Human Services
- College of Natural and Social Sciences
The California State Student Association (CSSA) keeps students at all CSU campuses informed on the system wide topics that matter to them. Students at the Cal State LA campus can find out more information about the latest news that affects them through their CSSA office. Students seeking more involvement beyond the classroom may join one of the many student clubs and organizations available on the CSULA campus.
One of the benefits of attending a CSU campus is that many of the student services and resources are provided system wide. If a student at one campus cannot find what they need on their campus, they have online access to "systemwide" Information Technology, Library Services, Student Newspapers, Alumni Relations, and more.
Other student services at the Cal State LA campus include a career development center, tutorial center, writing center, testing center, health center, and children's center, cross cultural centers, a student union, on campus housing and dining, and much more.
Each of the 23 CSU campuses has its own school colors and mascot. The traditional school colors for Cal State Los Angeles are black, white and gold. The CSULA mascot is the golden eagle, and the athletic teams are nicknamed the Cal State LA "Golden Eagles."
The Cal State "Golden Eagles" athletic teams compete in several intercollegiate sports, including:
- Track and Field
- Cross Country
- Track and Field
California State University - Los Angeles is just one of the 23 campuses in the CSU system. The other university campuses are:
- California State University Bakersfield
- California State University Channel Islands
- California State University Chico
- California State University Dominguez Hills
- California State University East Bay
- California State University Fresno
- California State University Fullerton
- Humboldt State University
- California State University Long Beach
- California Maritime Academy
- California State University Monterey Bay
- California State University Northridge
- California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- California State University Sacramento
- California State University San Bernardino
- San Diego State University
- San Francisco State University
- San Jose State University
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- California State University San Marcos
- Sonoma State University
- California State University Stanislaus
The CSU Los Angeles campus is located just minutes from the metro center of Los Angeles and at the intersection of two freeways. It is easy to reach, and near many points of interest - from the beaches to the mountains, museums and concert venues, theme parks and sports arenas.
California State University students are known for contributing their time and valuable resources to the communities around their campuses through service and leadership initiatives. CSULA students may earn academic credit for community service activities that include social services, education, safety, and crime prevention. National programs, such as AmeriCorps and Serve America, allow CSU students to serve communities further afield.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give an overview of the candidates California State University – Los Angeles accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at California State University – Los Angeles is around 28,000 students. The student body is made up of 86% undergraduate students and 14% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $4,400. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $70 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- In-State Tuition: $5,700-$6,900
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $18,000-$21,150
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||94%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||93%||$10,252|
|Receiving Student Loans||20%||$4,282|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, California State University – Los Angeles may provide services to students including:
- Online classes
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Employment search assistance
- Day care for children
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Art and Design Program
- Dietetics Program
- Coordinated Dietetics Program
- Music Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
California State University – Los Angeles is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II without football classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (California Collegiate Athletic Assoc)
- Basketball (California Collegiate Athletic Assoc)
- Track and Field, Indoor
- Track and Field, Outdoor
- Track and Field, X-Country
- Beach Volleyball
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by California State University – Los Angeles by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to California State University – Los Angeles.
- California State University - Dominguez Hills in Chico, CA (14 miles away)
- California State University - Long Beach in Hayward, CA (20 miles away)
- California State Polytechnic University - Pomona in San Bernardino, CA (20 miles away)
- California State University - Fullerton in Fresno, CA (21 miles away)
- California State University - Northridge in Los Angeles, CA (24 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: