FINANCIAL AID RATE99%
STUDENT TEACHER RATIO15:1
FINANCIAL AID AWARD AVG.$7,976
Average Grants + Scholarship Aid Awarded to Undergraduate Students
Percent of Full-Time Undergraduates Receiving Financial Aid
Percent of Students Paying In-State Tuition vs Out-of-State Tuition
Central State University
4700 Rockside Road, Independence, OH
Central State University is a public historically black institution located in Wilberforce, OH. Most historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were founded after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. Enrollment at Central State University exceeds 2,300 per year.
Areas of study offered at Central State University include but are not limited to:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Communications And Journalism
The admissions process will include the submission of an application, transcripts, records, and test scores, which are then evaluated by the admissions committee. The most common standardized test scores among applicants accepted to Central State University are between 14 - 17 on the ACT, or 690 - 850 on the SAT. This school has an acceptance rate of about 32 percent of which only 28 percent chose to attend. More information from the admissions office can be found at centralstate.edu.
Tuition & fees at this school vary for in-state and nonresidents. In-state tuition costs approximately $6,200 per year, while out-of-state tuition costing $14,000 for the year. School housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is approximately $5,000. Some students at Central State University may qualify for financial aid, which is generally provided in the form of loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The mascot for Central State University is the "Marauders", and they participate in intercollegiate sports through oversight by the NCAA. Athletic programs offered may include:
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
- Tennis (NCAA Division II)
Students can visit the school's http://www.centralstate.edu to view additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give you an idea of the applicants Central State University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Central State University is around 2,100 students. The student body is made up of 100% undergraduate students and 38% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $9,800. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $30 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $4,300-$5,200
- Out-of-State: $6,300-$7,567
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $290-$350 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $400-$480 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||99%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||98%||$6,876|
|Receiving Student Loans||90%||$12,000|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Central State University may offer services to students including:
- Online classes
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Counseling assistance
- Helping students find work after graduation
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Art and Design Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, Commission on Accreditation (since 2009)
- Music Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 1964)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 2007)
Central State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II with football classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Basketball (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Track and Field (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Football (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Central State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Security and Protective Services
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Central State University.
- Indiana University - East in New Albany, IN (55 miles away)
- Wright State University - Lake Campus in Dayton, OH (66 miles away)
- Ohio State University - Lima Campus in Wooster, OH (71 miles away)
- Ohio State University - Marion Campus in Mansfield, OH (73 miles away)
- Ohio State University - Newark Campus in Marion, OH (80 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: