FINANCIAL AID RATE97%
STUDENT TEACHER RATIO21:1
DEGREE OFFERED ONLINE28
FINANCIAL AID AWARD AVG.$5,515
Average Grants + Scholarship Aid Awarded to Undergraduate Students
Percent of Full-Time Undergraduates Receiving Financial Aid
Percent of Students Paying In-State Tuition vs Out-of-State Tuition
Virtual Tour of Campus
Northern State University (NSU)
2100 S Summit Ave, Sioux Falls, SD
NSU is a public institution located in Aberdeen, SD and provides a large number of program options for students. NSU has an annual student enrollment of nearly three thousand.
Students can pick from several areas of study, including:
- Social Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
To be considered for admissions, applicants may be asked to complete an application, write a personal statement, and submit school transcripts, which are then reviewed by the admissions committee. The most common standardized test scores among applicants accepted to this school are within the range of 19 to 24 on the ACT, or 900 to 1060 on the SAT exam. An estimated 90 percent of all students that applied were admitted at this school, with 38 percent of those admitted choosing to attend. More information on admissions can be found at northern.edu.
Tuition & fees at this school vary for in-state and nonresidents. In-state tuition costs nearly $7,600 per year with out-of-state tuition costing $9,500 per year. Housing may be available for students that would like to live on-campus for a cost of $2,900 annually. This school may help with costs by offering financial aid for students that qualify in the form of loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The Northern State University "Wolves" have a number of intercollegiate athletic programs through participation in the NCAA. Available sports offered may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
- Golf (NCAA Division II)
Students should visit the Northern State University website to see a complete list of areas of study, programs, student services, and more.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may provide a better idea of the applicants NSU accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Northern State University is around 3,500 students, where graduate students make up roughly 10% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $15,700. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $20 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $7,500-$9,000
- Out-of-State: $11,000-$12,730
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $290-$350 per unit
- Out-of-State: $390-$470 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||97%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||90%||$4,779|
|Receiving Student Loans||71%||$7,337|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Northern State University may offer student services like:
- Online course work available
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Employment search assistance
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Music Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 1965)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1954)
Northern State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II with football classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference)
- Basketball (Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference)
- Track and Field (Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference)
- Football (Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Northern State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Northern State University.
- Valley City State University in Bismarck, ND (104 miles away)
- Dakota State University in Spearfish, SD (120 miles away)
- University of Minnesota - Morris in Duluth, MN (124 miles away)
- Minnesota State University - Moorhead in Saint Cloud, MN (128 miles away)
- Southwest Minnesota State University in Saint Paul, MN (150 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: