FINANCIAL AID RATE94%
STUDENT TEACHER RATIO16:1
FINANCIAL AID AWARD AVG.$6,800
Average Grants + Scholarship Aid Awarded to Undergraduate Students
Percent of Full-Time Undergraduates Receiving Financial Aid
Percent of Students Paying In-State Tuition vs Out-of-State Tuition
223 W Main St, Salem, WV
Shepherd University provides a variety of program options for students to assist them in their growth and development. The school is located in Shepherdstown, WV and publically funded. Enrollment at Shepherd University exceeds four thousand per year.
Areas of study available at Shepherd University include but are not limited to:
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Recreation And Fitness Studies
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Visual And Performing Arts
Students applying for admission are most often asked to submit an application, transcripts, records, standardized test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by the admissions committee. The most common exam scores among students admitted to this school are between 19 to 24 for the ACT exam, or 910 to 1110 on the SAT. 88% of applicants are admitted to Shepherd University, of which 43% choose to enroll. More information on admissions can be found here.
The cost of undergraduate tuition varies for in-state and nonresidents. In-state residents pay around $6,100 and nonresidents pay $16,000 annually. The price of on-campus housing is approximately $4,900 annually. This school may provide financial aid for students that are eligible in the form of grants and loans.
The Shepherd University Rams participate in several athletic programs, overseen by the NCAA. Available athletic programs offered may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
- Golf (NCAA Division II)
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may provide a better idea of the students Shepherd University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Shepherd University is around 3,600 students, with undergraduate students making up about 93% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $9,200. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $45 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $5,800-$6,900
- Out-of-State: $15,000-$18,330
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $320-$380 per unit
- Out-of-State: $750-$900 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||94%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||85%||$7,832|
|Receiving Student Loans||55%||$6,360|
Academics & Student Services
To help students and recent graduates, Shepherd University may provide student services like those listed below:
- Online classes
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Assisting students to find work
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Music Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Shepherd University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II with football classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference)
- Football (Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Shepherd University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Shepherd University.
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Mont Alto in McKeesport, PA (31 miles away)
- Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania in Sharon, PA (46 miles away)
- Frostburg State University in Frederick, MD (62 miles away)
- Bowie State University in Baltimore, MD (63 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State York in Schuylkill Haven, PA (69 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: