FINANCIAL AID RATE91%
STUDENT TEACHER RATIO22:1
DEGREE OFFERED ONLINE68
FINANCIAL AID AWARD AVG.$8,095
Average Grants + Scholarship Aid Awarded to Undergraduate Students
Percent of Full-Time Undergraduates Receiving Financial Aid
Percent of Students Paying In-State Tuition vs Out-of-State Tuition
College Video Tour
University of South Florida
Also known as USF Main Campus
600 W College Dr, Avon Park, FL
The University of South Florida is located in Tampa. It is part of the State University System of Florida and is a public research facility.
The University of South Florida was established in 1956, on the site of Henderson Air Field. It was not named until 1957 and students didn't attend until 1960.
Between 1957 and 1970, the University expanded quickly, due to the fact that graduate degree programs began in 1964. Today, the University of South Florida has been dubbed the Harvard of the South. It takes great pride in advancing as a research university.
The University of South Florida has eighteen colleges, institutions and schools, including:
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Business
- College of Engineering
- Honors College
- College of Marine Sciences
- College of Medicine
- The Confucius Institute
- School of Music
- School of Library and Information Science
- School of Theatre and Dance
- School of Therapy and Rehabilitation Science
The University of South Florida has three satellite campuses. They are:
- University of South Florida, Lakeland, established in 1988. It offers more than twenty graduate and undergraduate degrees.
- Sarasota-Manatee, established in 1975. At that time it shared a campus with New College of Florida. A new campus opened in August 2009.
- St. Petersburg Campus, established in 1965. It is located in downtown St. Petersburg.
13% of students that attend the University of South Florida live on campus. Most find it more cost efficient to live off campus in apartments for students. As of 2009, the University of South Florida requires that all freshmen live on campus for the first year of their education. Students who live with parents or guardians in certain counties are exempt, as are students who are 21 years old when the fall semester begins and those who are married or have dependents.
Fraternities and Sororities
The University of South Florida is comprised of a large Greek community. Fraternities and Sororities include:
- Alpha Phi Alpha
- Chi Phi
- Delta Chi
- Kappa Kappa Psi
- Sigma Beta Rho
- Teta Chi
- Alpha Delta Pi
- Chi Omega
- Lamba Theta Alpha
- Sigma Delta Tau
- Zeta Tau Alpha
There are numerous other fraternities and sororities as well.
In 1961, the first student newspaper was the Campus Edition of the Tampa Times. When that newspaper became defunct, The Oracle took its place. On September 6, 1966, The Oracle was first published as a weekly. Presently it is published four times weekly. The University of South Florida also has a student radio station. WBUL is located in the Phyllis P. Marshall Center.
The Bulls are the University of South Florida's athletic teams. They include:
- Men's and Women's Basketball
- Men's and Women's Soccer
- Cross country
The University of South Florida joined the Big East Conference in 2005. Herd of Thunder is the athletic band of the South Florida Bulls. It was founded in 1999.
The University of South Florida is at the hub of the Tampa community and strives to make the area of Tampa Bay a better place to live, play and work.
For animal lovers, Busch Gardens is a paradise. Visit the Serengeti Plains, thrill to the wind blowing in your hair as you ride the roller coaster or stop by the Brewmaster's Club. Lowry Park is another must-see for animal lovers.
If you enjoy great entertainment or a night on the town, be sure to visit Channelside entertainment district. Enjoy nightclubs, a 10-screen IMAX Theatre, tasty cuisine at a wide variety of restaurants or do some shopping at the local retail stores.
Be sure to visit Ybor City, northeast of downtown. This historic district was the hub of Tampa's pre-Depression cigar trade and there are many National Historic Sits and Landmarks within its boundaries.
Other activities include golf, mini golf, bowling, swimming, bike riding, botanical gardens, museums, manatee viewing and more. No matter what your interests, you will find something to your liking in Tampa.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the candidates USF Main Campus accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at University of South Florida is about 44,000. The student body is made up of 74% undergraduate students and 10% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $10,500. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $30 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $4,600-$5,500
- Out-of-State: $15,000-$18,570
- Charges per unit:
- In-State: $210-$250 per unit
- Out-of-State: $580-$690 per unit
- May offer prepaid tuition, allowing students to purchase tuition at current rates for future years.
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||91%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||85%||$9,838|
|Receiving Student Loans||36%||$7,678|
Academics & Student Services
To help students and recent graduates, University of South Florida may provide services including:
- Online course work available
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Counseling assistance
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Employment search assistance
- Day care for children
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: University of South Florida
- Art and Design Program
- Clinical Audiology (Au.D.) Program
- Clinical Psychology (Ph.D.) Program
- Dance Program
- Health Services Administration Program
- Medical (M.D.) Program
- Music Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program
- Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) Program
- Master's in Public Health (M.P.H.) Program
- School Psychology (Ph.D.) Program
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- Theatre Program
Campus: USF Tampa (USF Health)
- Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) Program
- * Accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (since 2006)
USF Main Campus is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division I-FBS classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (372)
- Basketball (372)
- Track and Field (372)
- Football (372)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by University of South Florida by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to University of South Florida.
- University of South Florida - St. Petersburg Campus in Milwaukee, WI (24 miles away)
- University of South Florida Sarasota - Manatee in Spokane, WA (47 miles away)
- New College of Florida in Irvine, CA (47 miles away)
- University of Central Florida in Kissimmee, FL (65 miles away)
- Florida Gulf Coast University in Kenner, LA (107 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: