FINANCIAL AID RATE87%
STUDENT TEACHER RATIO19:1
DEGREE OFFERED ONLINE12
FINANCIAL AID AWARD AVG.$13,483
Average Grants + Scholarship Aid Awarded to Undergraduate Students
Percent of Full-Time Undergraduates Receiving Financial Aid
Percent of Students Paying In-State Tuition vs Out-of-State Tuition
West Virginia State University (WVSU)
400 Lee Street North, Lewisburg, WV
WVSU is a public historically black institution located in Institute, WV. Many historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were founded after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. As a land grant institution this school is among larger public institutions in the state of West Virginia. Enrollment at West Virginia State University is nearly 3,200 per year.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs West Virginia State University offers:
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Communications And Journalism
- Health And Clinical Professions
Students applying for admission are generally asked to submit an application, transcripts, records, standardized test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by admissions staff. The majority of students admitted to this school earn an SAT score in a range of 755 to 950, or an ACT score between 17 to 22. More information on admissions can be found at wvstateu.edu.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is close to $5,400, but may change from year to year. Students are encouraged to use the school's price of attendance calculator to better estimate their personal tuition costs. Housing is available on-campus for students. The annual cost of housing is about $3,400. Students enrolled at this school may qualify for aid which is typically loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The West Virginia State University "Yellow Jackets" have a number of intercollegiate athletic programs through participation in the NCAA. Available sports offered may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
- Golf (NCAA Division II)
- Softball (NCAA Division II)
Contact information, tuition information, areas of study offered, and much more can be accessed on school's website at http://www.wvstateu.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may provide a better idea of the candidates WVSU accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
West Virginia State University has a total student population of about 3,700, where graduate students make up roughly 9% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $9,900. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $20 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- In-State: $7,700-$9,300
- Out-of-State: $17,000-$20,600
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $320-$380 per unit
- Out-of-State: $710-$850 per unit
- Some programs may have a frozen tuition rate, which means the tuition will stay the same for up to five years.
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||87%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||87%||$7,361|
|Receiving Student Loans||63%||$8,243|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, West Virginia State University may offer services like:
- Online classes
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assisting students to find work
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1962)
West Virginia State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II with football classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (370)
- Basketball (370)
- Football (370)
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by West Virginia State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to West Virginia State University.
- Glenville State College in Fairmont, WV (63 miles away)
- Concord University in Clarksburg, WV (77 miles away)
- The University of Virginia's College at Wise in Richmond, VA (106 miles away)
- Fairmont State University in Elkins, WV (115 miles away)
- Ohio State University - Newark Campus in Marion, OH (123 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities:
- Visit the main West Virginia colleges & universities profile page
- Get a list of all state universities in West Virginia