FINANCIAL AID RATE98%
STUDENT TEACHER RATIO14:1
DEGREE OFFERED ONLINE24
FINANCIAL AID AWARD AVG.$8,244
Average Grants + Scholarship Aid Awarded to Undergraduate Students
Percent of Full-Time Undergraduates Receiving Financial Aid
Percent of Students Paying In-State Tuition vs Out-of-State Tuition
Winston – Salem State University (WSSU)
1531 Silas Creek Pky, Winston-Salem, NC
Winston - Salem State University is a public historically black institution located in Winston-Salem, NC. Most historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were established after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. Approximately six thousand students are enrolled per year at WSSU.
Students can choose from many areas of study, including:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Recreation And Fitness Studies
- Social Sciences
To be considered for admissions, applicants may be required to fill out an application, write a personal statement, and submit test scores or other school records, which are then studied by the admissions staff. The majority of students accepted to WSSU earn an SAT score between 1190 to 1430, or an ACT composite score in a range of 16 to 20. 62% of students that apply are accepted to WSSU, of which 32 percent choose to enroll. More information regarding admissions can be found at wssu.edu or by completing the form on this portal page.
The cost of undergraduate tuition varies for in-state and nonresidents. In-state residents pay nearly $5,000, while out-of-state residents pay $15,000 annually. School housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is around $4,800. WSSU may provide financial aid for students who qualify by way of scholarships, grants, and loans.
The WSSU "Rams" have a number of intercollegiate athletic programs through participation in the NCAA. Athletic programs available may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
Students should take a look at the school's wssu.edu to view additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the students Winston – Salem State University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Winston – Salem State University has a total student population of about 5,200. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 18% enrolling as graduate students and 91% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $11,100. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $50 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- State Residents: $3,400-$4,100
- Out-of-State: $14,000-$16,380
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $430-$510 per unit
- Out-of-State: $1,700-$2,000 per unit
- Some programs may have tuition rates locked at the first year rate for up to five years.
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||98%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||90%||$8,650|
|Receiving Student Loans||86%||$6,299|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Winston – Salem State University may offer services to students including:
- Online course work available
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Counseling assistance
- Work study style employment
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Music Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Occupational Therapy (OT) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Winston – Salem State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II with football classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc)
- Basketball (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc)
- Football (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc)
- Track and Field, Indoor
- Track and Field, Outdoor
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Winston – Salem State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Winston – Salem State University.
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro in Charlotte, NC (23 miles away)
- North Carolina A & T State University in Rocky Mount, NC (25 miles away)
- Radford University in Charlottesville, VA (74 miles away)
- North Carolina Central University in Greensboro, NC (75 miles away)
- Winthrop University in Kingstree, SC (90 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: