FINANCIAL AID RATE91%
STUDENT TEACHER RATIO18:1
DEGREE OFFERED ONLINE14
FINANCIAL AID AWARD AVG.$4,904
Average Grants + Scholarship Aid Awarded to Undergraduate Students
Percent of Full-Time Undergraduates Receiving Financial Aid
Percent of Students Paying In-State Tuition vs Out-of-State Tuition
Black Hills State University (BHSU)
623 Saint Joseph Street, Rapid City, SD
BHSU is a public institution that has a fair number of degree programs available for students to choose from. The school is located in Spearfish, South Dakota, in a predominantly rural area. Approximately four thousand students are enrolled per year at BHSU.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs BHSU offers:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Public Administration And Social Services
- Communications And Journalism
The admissions process will begin with the submission of an application, transcripts, records, and standardized test scores, which are then reviewed by the admissions committee. Most students accepted to BHSU score in a range of 19 - 23 on the ACT. This school admits roughly 90 percent of applicants yearly. Of those applicants accepted, nearly 45 percent registered for enrollment. More information from the admissions office can be found at bhsu.edu.
The tuition at Black Hills State University varies based on the state of residence of the student. In-state residents pay around $8,200 per year, while out-of-state residents are charged $10,000 for the year. Student housing is available on-campus for students. The annual cost of housing is estimated to be $3,900. Students at Black Hills State University may be eligible for aid which is generally grants and loans.
The Black Hills State University Yellow Jackets participate in several intercollegiate athletic programs, with competitions managed and overseen by the NAIA. Athletic programs available may include:
- Basketball (NAIA Division II)
- Track & Field (NAIA Division II)
- Football (NAIA Division II)
Students can take a look at the school's http://www.bhsu.edu to view additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give you an idea of the candidates BHSU accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Black Hills State University is around 4,000 students. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 12% enrolling as graduate students and 93% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $15,300. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $20 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- In-State: $7,900-$9,500
- Out-of-State: $11,000-$13,230
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $300-$360 per unit
- Out-of-State: $410-$490 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||91%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||74%||$4,648|
|Receiving Student Loans||71%||$7,063|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Black Hills State University may offer student services like:
- Online course work available
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assisting students to find work
- Child care
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Music Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 1980)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1954)
Black Hills State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II with football classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Basketball (Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference)
- Football (Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference)
- Other Sports
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Black Hills State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Black Hills State University.
- Oglala Lakota College in Aberdeen, SD (102 miles away)
- Chadron State College in Grand Island, NE (124 miles away)
- Dickinson State University in Bismarck, ND (173 miles away)
- Montana State University - Billings in Lame Deer, MT (244 miles away)
- Northern State University in Sioux Falls, SD (271 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: