FINANCIAL AID RATE96%
STUDENT TEACHER RATIO12:1
DEGREE OFFERED ONLINE10
FINANCIAL AID AWARD AVG.$8,850
Average Grants + Scholarship Aid Awarded to Undergraduate Students
Percent of Full-Time Undergraduates Receiving Financial Aid
Percent of Students Paying In-State Tuition vs Out-of-State Tuition
College Video Tour
Kentucky State University (KY State)
855 Hwy 541, Jackson, KY
Kentucky State University is a public historically black institution located in Frankfort, Kentucky. Most historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were founded after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. As a land grant institution this school is one of the larger public institutions in the state of Kentucky. Approximately two thousand students are enrolled per year at Kentucky State University.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Security And Protective Services
Students applying for admission are required to submit an application, transcripts, records, test scores and any requested application essays, which will then be reviewed by the admissions committee. Students may submit either the SAT or ACT exam scores to be considered for admissions at KY State. A score between 1120 to 1390 on the SAT, or 16 to 20 for the ACT is common among accepted students. An estimated 30% of all students that applied were accepted at Kentucky State University, with 19% of those accepted choosing to enroll. More information from the admissions office can be found at kysu.edu.
Tuition & fees at this school are different for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state tuition costs close to $6,400 per year and out-of-state tuition costing $14,000 for the year. Housing may be available for students who wish to live on-campus for a cost of $3,600 each year. KY State may help with costs by offering financial aid for students that are eligible as grants and loans.
The KY State "Thorobreds" have a number of intercollegiate athletic programs through participation in the NCAA. Athletic programs available include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
Students who would like to learn more about Kentucky State University may take a look at their website at http://www.kysu.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may provide a better idea of the students KY State accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Kentucky State University has a total student population of about 1,800, where graduate students make up roughly 17% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $10,300. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $30 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $7,700-$9,200
- Out-of-State: $12,000-$13,860
- Charges for part-time students are:
- State Residents: $330-$390 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $490-$590 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||96%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||96%||$8,632|
|Receiving Student Loans||67%||$6,196|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Kentucky State University may provide services including:
- Online classes
- Night and weekend classes available
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Music Program
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Kentucky State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II with football classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Basketball (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Football (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Track and Field, Outdoor
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Kentucky State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Kentucky State University.
- Indiana University - Southeast in Gary, IN (53 miles away)
- Central State University in Independence, OH (117 miles away)
- The University of Virginia's College at Wise in Richmond, VA (152 miles away)
- Wright State University - Lake Campus in Dayton, OH (164 miles away)
- West Virginia State University in Lewisburg, WV (169 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: